Thursday, January 1, 2009

Preparation and procrastination

Here it is, Thursday and I leave Monday afternoon...I have nearly nothing done for the school work. I have five reading response I want to get done before I leave along with a book of choice to complete (I'm half-way through it), and a text book to review and take notes on....Being able to do an independent study seems like a slick deal, but let me tell you it's hard to find the motivation to do anything.

I still have to pack. Did you know that upon entering New Zealand the customs agents go through everything? And by everything, I'm mean they make you scrape the dirt from your shoes and "properly dispose" of the those random food crumbs in the bottom of your bag. Should I be surprised if they lube up a doctors glove and ask me to relax?

If you are curious, here's my detailed itinerary....there is none, except for a pit-stop on the tropical island Nadi, Fiji (both coming and going) and a week's worth of work in a whitewater kayak factory starting Jan. 12th.

Some of you may find it surprising that I do have some qualms, fears if you will, about traveling this time, but I warn you they are not the typical fears. For example, if the NZ government underwent a coup and the US refused to recognize the new administration (think "Terminal" with Tom Hanks) or my luggage got lost for the duration of the tramping, I would love it. Although the first is likely not to happen and the chances of the second happening are greater, either one would add to the adventure.

On to my qualms. I'm afraid of landing in NZ, being so excited to be there, and then freezing, not knowing what to do. I don't want to waste a lick of time. While I know I can't do and see it all, I don't want to board the plane at the end of the month with a single regret. I'm sure I'll be fine,but I cannot help but feel this way.

Another fear....transportation. As of now, I have no way of getting around the island. Yes, they do have good bus system, but I feel that would restrict the freedom to roam and do whatever when ever. Not being able to travel freely is my fear. Improvising and punting for transpo is not. If all else fails I have two legs, a thumb, and a smile (I know mom that you love that idea, but don't fret, I've done it before so I have the experience...I can see you rolling your eyes now).

My last fear, the end. I'm afraid that when I return I'm not going to be able to concentrate on my final semester of school. I can see myself sitting in class in early February not hearing a word spoken, and instead thinking of the exotic animals and plants that filled my daily life for three weeks.

My hopes....I hope to:
- get thoroughly lost at least once
- meet some sweet people randomly
- laugh at the fact that I'm able to do this incredible adventure
- pet a sheep (I never have) and possibly help sheer one
- hitchhike
- pull off a home stay...that would be awesome
- drop a waterfall in some way shape or form
- do at least one extreme sport (ever heard of Zorbing? I still don't know about this, I think jumping off a bridge with a giant rubber band attached to your ankles might be a better idea., but we'll see)
- hike Mount Doom from the Lord of the Rings, known locally as Mt. Ngauruhoe
- surf
- return home alive to tell about it

If you want to respond to this posting or any other one, you can leave comments here in the blog or feel free to e-mail me at dfry09@whitworth.edu or danfry00@gmail.com

Don't forget to pray, send luck, wishes, or whatever you feel called to do. Nate (my travelling partner) and I will take whatever we can get.

My next posting will be from the other side of the world, literally....

-Dan

3 comments:

  1. Safe and blessed travels. I cannot wait to hear all about your adventures. Have so much fun brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it, Dan. You'll do great! Can't wait to see the pictures. We miss you here.
    -Dawn at Greater Spokane Incorporated

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom heard you were going to NZ and sent me the link to your blog. After having lived there for a while, I must say that you have an amazing opportunity to be able to travel there.

    A few tips/comments...

    Hitchhiking is fairly safe there. The people are really friendly (mostly) and are happy to give tips to places to find food, places to stay, and often the means to get there.

    Though I didn't do Zorbing, some of the people I lived with did, and said it was more fun than bungee jumping. I must say it was really entertaining to watch. Another fun Kiwi sport... the Luge.

    If you get a chance... in Queenstown, eat at a Pizza place called Winnies. It has the best pizza I've ever tried. (recommended to me by by locals.)

    Good Luck with your travels and adventures!

    ReplyDelete