Tuesday, January 6, 2009

That ain't no dixie cup



First off, who's idea was it to offer free alcohol on international flights? Genius! The flight attendant offered me red wine, so I took some. But she poured a huge glass full, the same amount you would get with water. Then later when she asked if I wanted more and I said "Water please." Next thing I knew I had another huge glass of wine in front of me that needed to be consumed...and that was not the last time she visited.

Besides swollen feet, an eight hour layover in Fiji was definitely the way to go. Caught a cab with two others we met in LA to a beach. Swam some in the picturesque ocean and played with fish swimming around our legs. Topped off the beach adventure with a nice cold Fiji Bitter (beer). It was 9:30 AM when we toasted to the layover.

Slept well on the flight from Fiji to New Zealand, wonder why.

Katie and Ken were at the airport to pick us up and happy to see a familiar face. Customs wasn't too bad all around, just had to be patient waiting in lines. NZ customs was friendly, they even unplack your bag and tent for you.

Day one really has yet to start. I have only traveled to my destination and have experienced so much already. Among the many highlights that happened during the past 30 (approx.) hours of travel, meeting the two gals in LA, spending time with them waiting in lines and swimming, and feeling the warmth of the sun and air has been amazing. Did I mention the girl who ordered milk on the plane?

Wish me luck as we track down transportation tomorrow and pay a visit to Piha, apparently NZ's now violent/life taking beach. Love you mom.

~DFRY

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, you made it...you even had time to swim in Fiji...awesome! Have so much fun, tell Katie and Ken we all say hello. And good luck today with the whole transpo issues! Love you Boog...

    ReplyDelete